May 23, 2007

When to shutup

Ok, ok, my unfinished weekend post is in the works; I've heard the people, and the people like me, so I will oblige them. In the meantime, two mildly embarassing but amusing recent stories.

My friend H. and I met at my apartment before going to the Met, so I could finally see the Barcelona Modernity exhibit. As it was unexpectedly hot outside, she needed to stop in for a drink, so we sat in my living room for a bit. On my coffee table sat a doctor's prescription and box of medicine. H. asked me what it was, and imagining I knew what I was talking about, given my roommate having complained about some serious shoulder pain a few months ago, I said it was for that. "Really?" she asked, before reading the side of the box out loud: "Terconazole - vaginal cream." I hear that stuff works wonders on your upper back. On a related note, does my roommate enjoy advertising her yeast infections? Feel free to take this time to clean up the vomit from your keyboard.

Now that I've been roped-in to my part-time job (this will be explained in another post, hopefully, but it was one of those, I'll-take-this-job-that-pays-much-less-than-I-should-be-making-to-make-some-cash-while-I-continue-looking-for-a-"real job" that has quickly and surely taken over my life), I tend to enjoy chatting customers up as I help run the storefront and occasionally work the register. A somewhat out-of-place thirty-something hipster handed me his credit-card, I noticed he was rocking one of those fake, but sort-of-cool "Dan's Auto Body"-type jackets with the name "Chai" embroidered on. I asked if that was his real name, since a) it's a cool name, and b) I used to work for an organization whose acronym was that. Instead of a polite laugh, or a "yes," he sneered at me and said something like, "No, I just handed you my credit card, dude." A little taken aback, but remembering many past transactions, I tried to defend myself by replying that "Yeah, but a lot of women use their husbands' card while paying," as the name doesn't always match the customer. He shot back an unamused look. "I don't have a husband."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous16:13

    What did you think of the Barcelona exhibit? I liked it. But I am biased towards Spanish art, I think. Gaudi is one of my favorites. Like Miro, too. And who doesn't like Picasso?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14:23

    p.s. "Chai" is not a cool name. It is a tea.

    ReplyDelete