June 9, 2006

Mama! (my first words)

As a baby blogger, please bear with my awkward first steps, but I promise I'll be doing cartwheels and karate kicks in short time. The easy first question is why? The internet has an uncanny ability to suck away valuable time, which is a rather pricey commodity in this big-ol'-freaky city. I am definitely missing out on a trendy new bar, restaurant, museum expo, indie flick, sweaty rock club, or (and this is usually a stretch) a hot date. At least one that is worthwhile. But as someone who made my parents drop six figures on a pretty piece of paper that proves I can talk and read good in my native tongue, as well as someone who's spent the past two decades lazying my way to never writing a journal (something any semi-ambitious writer needs to do to be authenticated, it seems), I feel it's about time I did something about it. And what better way to prove my uniqueness than by becoming the world's 35459837289th blog-writer? The harder second question is, who will read this? My plan is to cultivate a small, but dedicated following for the first three to four months, then strike it big by getting quoted in some mainstream NY blog or publication, exposing me to a massive but fickle audience. At least half of my initial readers will deplore the sad fate of my selling-out, while the new readers will slowly trickle away towards newer and funnier material. So, to those readers that will be around after all that, thanks mom! I hope she will have figured out how to use the internet by then.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21:40

    I just went back to look at the early ones. "Mama!", a Davies-sophomore year Edmonds rehash? I truly hope so. Good luck with the blog. I hope to visit you, the future novelist, smoking rolled cigarettes in some arrondismont (spelling?), being philosophical. I'm trying to get to that point in BA, but everyone works too f*cking much!

    ReplyDelete